Sunday 16 January 2011

Trichrome in HP5+

ORIGINALLY POSTED SUNDAY, 19 JULY 2009


Trichrome in HP5+

On a roll of HP5+ I shot two trichrome images (it was a short roll).
Trichromes are produced by making 3 B/W exposures through different coloured filters, then combining them to make a colour image. I've done this using GIMP, but it can be done optically -Technicolour, one of the first colour moving images was done this way, re-projecting the B/W images through coloured filters to make an additive colour image.

Even a hundred years ago (pretty much immediately after the invention of the panchromatic emulsion) Prokudin-Gorski was making trichrome images in Czarist Russia. His work is as impressive now as it was when he first made it, as they are pretty much the only colour images from that time. His work includes the only colour picture of Leo Tolstoy, author of War and Peace.

Whilst Gorski would have had to make his own filters, I just used ones I bought from the shops. I shot one image through a Red (#25) filter, one through a green and one through a blue filter. Apparently I chose a particularly good film for trichromy, because HP5+ has a good, broad spectral response.

I developed the film in ID-11 1:1 (having exposed at EI400) and got my brother to scan it.

Unfortunately, the red layer of one of the trichromes was half-obliterated because the film had been exposed at the end whilst I was bulk-loading, but I did get one image and I'm pretty pleased with it. In the distance, some things don't line up exactly because the camera must have moved a little bit, but I love the way that the sea glistens with different colours as it has rippled between exposures (harris shutter effect).

Here's the finished result: the weather was clear blue sky and bright sun. It's taken on the pier leading to Tynemouth lighthouse in N.E. England.

No comments:

Post a Comment