Tuesday 25 January 2011

Glass Plate Negative

In the Big Bag Of Goodies I bought at the weekend, there was a box labelled "Agfa Isopan ISS" and an expiry date of September 1939, which is when WWII kicked off. When I opened the box, I found not Isopan ISS, but a single glass plate negative of a landscape. I scanned it in using my 4990 and was absolutely astonished by the detail. The exposure is spot on, and some sort of filter has been used (or the spectral response was weird, which is also possible) so I think it's been taken by someone who knows what they were doing.
It's a tiny plate, I believe 2 1/2 by 3 1/3 inches in size, with fairly rough edges, so it may have been cut by the photographer from a larger plate- that's just my conjecture though.
Anywho, enough talking, here's the picture. If you feel like editing the levels/curves to give a punchier image, just let me know and I'll send you a high-res TIFF file. I'm not that great with PS etc., so I'd love to see what can be done with this. The image contains so much detail and isn't blocked up in either highlights or shadows, I'm sure something fantastic could be done with it.
I might even make you a lumen print as reward, if you do something nice.

If you want to see it larger, look here.

Oh, and if you have any idea where this is, tell me!

2 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful photo. Do you have any idea of where it was taken? Or when?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea where this is. The scene is reminiscent of N.E. England, but you'd need a geographer or geologist to give a better idea exactly where. I bought it at a flea market in Tynemouth a while back. I'd guess that it's early 20th Century (interbellum perhaps), but that's simply because of the technology used.
    The trees in the foreground show signs of budding, so I'd guess that the whiteness of the fields is due to a green or yellow filter being used, rather than due to snow.
    Thank you for commenting on my blog- it's nice to know that people are reading it, even if I haven't been able to update properly for a while. :-)

    ReplyDelete